Thursday, January 1, 2015

One Word 2015

About two years ago, I first heard of the concept of "One Word" or "One Little Word," depending on whose website you're on. I don't know who originated the concept, but the idea is that you choose a word to focus on for the year, rather than a New Year's Resolution. I semi-participated in 2013, choosing the word "fulfill." But, like most resolutions, I sort of lost sight of my word. For 2014, I chose the word "light." If you'd like, check out this post from one of my other blogs, where I explain my reasoning even further. This year, I definitely remembered my word more, and thought about it. It's funny, I had all of these definitions for light, but little did I know that I would actually lose weight and become "lighter."

So as 2014 has come to an end, I've been thinking about what word I wanted to choose in 2015. I had thought about doing this last year and decided not to, but this year, I signed up for a class with Ali Edwards. She is a scrapbooker/blogger, and she has a year-long online class to help people reflect on their word by providing monthly prompts. You end up making some sort of album with all of your reflections. I'm pretty excited about it, mostly because I want to see the change in my life, and the word that I'm going to go with goes right along with some of the books I've been reading recently.

Lately I've been thinking about my tendency to be more about thoughts and ideas and less about doing and follow-through. I've been getting better at that, I think, but I want to really work at that this year.

That's why I am picking the word "push." To me, it reflects what I want to see happen in 2015...truly striving toward my goals. Some of the definitions I like are "to carry (an action or thing) toward a conclusion," "to make one's way with effort or persistence, as against difficulty or opposition," and "to put forth vigorous or persistent efforts."


While I believe in setting goals for the new year, I think resolutions are a little overrated. But, new years are a time to reflect on the things you did well, the things that you could improve, and decide what you're going to do to improve. What word would you choose for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment