Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Journey Begins

I am taking the plunge.

When I was younger, I generally did not have a problem with my weight. I was not particularly athletic, although I did do cheerleading (in a small, private school, and not with all of the gymnastics there is today). I ate relatively healthily at that time. Basically, I had great metabolism because I was young.

During my mid-20s to early 30s, I did gain some weight here and there. Not a lot, and it was pretty easy to get back down with some working out and better eating. Even since I've been married, I can lose weight or tone up some with a little exercise and counting calories.

The only trouble is, each time I've gained, I've gained a little more weight. And when I've lost, I haven't quite reached my goal weight before I go back to my old habits.

And now I'm 41. It really is true, your metabolism slows down. I know that I need to really focus on being healthy because I'm not getting any younger. While I like healthy foods, I am easily swayed by the more tempting foods like doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, and chocolate. It's just been easier to make unhealthy choices lately.

So that's why I felt a little nervous (and skeptical) when my husband and I recently decided to sign up with Beachbody as coaches. You've probably heard of them, or at least their P90X exercise program. We actually did that back in 2008. We didn't complete the 90 days, unfortunately (due to job schedule changes and things), but we definitely saw results in the time we did do it. We saw the opportunity to get healthy, with accountability, and see some real results. As I've learned more about Beachbody, I've found that this is exactly what they want you to do...start where you are and share your journey with others.

So that's what I intend to do.

I have mixed emotions. I'm nervous because I actually have never finished an exercise program that I set out to do. I've started the Couch to 5K workouts multiple times (I did get pregnant in the middle of my first attempt, though). I'm excited, because I'm going to be beginning my first challenge soon, and I'm determined to finish. I am excited about the eating plan, because I really think that it is something that I will be able to do, and stick to. (I'll also be trying out the Shakeology meal replacement shakes that I keep hearing so much about.)

Beginning August 4, I will start PiYo, one of Beachbody's newest workout programs. It's a low-impact program that combines moves from Pilates and yoga, which I've always enjoyed doing. This is also the same week that I will be returning to my job in the school system, after having been off for summer break, so I'll be right back in full swing right away. But I think that will be good for me.

I invite you to follow along with my journey. I am posting a "before" picture, which is me right now. I plan to post progress pictures along the way, as well as my thoughts and feelings about this program. My ultimate goal is to lose 35 pounds. That would put me about where I was when I got married 8 years ago. The second picture is one of me from my honeymoon. It's funny, because back then, I would have liked to have been a few pounds lighter, but now I would love to be at that weight.

I will be. Just wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment