Sunday, November 23, 2014

P90X3 Block 2

I indicated before that P90X3 is a 90-day program that is set up in 3 blocks. The first block is 4 weeks long, with the first 3 weeks being the same, and the 4th week being more of a transition week. There is a mix of routines that focus on your cardio, strength, and flexibility. All of the workouts are 30 minutes. I think Block 2 is a bit tougher than Block 1.

Block 2 Exercises (3 weeks):

Day 1 (usually Monday) is Eccentric Upper. The eccentric move is the negative part of an exercise rep. In other words, when you do a bicep curl, the eccentric move would be the part where you curl your arm back down. So this workout focuses more on the eccentric move, going slower to focus on that move rather than using momentum.


Day 2 is Triometrics. This is lower body work, more of the plyometrics type (explosive moves in short intervals of time). For each move, you do three different levels of intensity, starting with the lower intensity and moving to the highest intensity.

Day 3 is X3 Yoga again. It's also in Block 1, so I already talked about it, but it's your basic yoga moves (from what I know about yoga). It focuses on flexibility and strength. I'm glad it's in both Block 1 and 2.


Day 4 is Eccentric Lower. Same concept as Eccentric Upper, just with exercises that focus on the lower body. This one uses weights.

Day 5 is Incinerator, It's upper body, focusing on chest, back, biceps, and triceps. Just like the name implies, you're burning. We're back to a lot of push-ups and pull-ups, as well as using weights.


Day 6 is MMX, which is a martial arts-based routine. I typically like these types of workouts, too, but this one is pretty tough. Although I did better the last time than I had my first time. There are a lot of sprawls, where you fall on the floor real fast. But, I'm starting to handle that kind of thing a lot better than I did before.


Day 7 is Dynamix, or you can choose to rest. I usually take the rest day, but I'm thinking for Block 3, I may use it. It actually focuses on your abs a little more than I have gotten.

In my post on Block 1, I talked about the fourth week, the Transition week, but I'm including it again in case anyone didn't read that post.

Block 1 Recovery Week (1 week):

Day 1 is Isometrix. This involves holding a lot of the yoga poses for about 45 seconds. It's pretty tough. For some reason I didn't like it as well as I had the first time.

Day 2 is Dynamix. This also involves a lot of stretching to help increase range of motion, flexibility, and stability. I didn't find it to be as tough as I had thought last time. And like I said, it engages the abs a bit more, so I think I might do it on Sundays (my rest days) during Block 3.

Day 3 is Accelerator. Whew, I thought it was tough! It's back to cardio, somewhat similar to Agility X. I will say, I did a bit better on the Donkey Kicks than I did the first time.

Day 4 is Pilates. This is mostly focused on core. I have to say, I didn't like it as much as I thought that I would, but again, it could just be because it's not familiar yet. I'll have to see when I do it again.

Day 5 is CVX, which is in Block 1. Cardio while holding a light weight.

Day 6 is X3 Yoga, which I described above.


.And now on to Block 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment