Sunday, October 19, 2014

Week 13 [Oct 12-18] Benefits and Weight Loss Update



I would say that committing to this fitness journey has been hands-down one of the best decisions that I've ever made. There have been so much more than physical changes in me, although those have been great. Aside from the weight loss, I am seeing myself get stronger, my clothes are looking and fitting better, and my legs and arms are becoming more defined.

Like I said, though, this journey is making more than just physical changes. It also has made some emotional changes in me. My confidence has increased, my self-esteem is better, and I get irritated less easily.

Yep, I can tend to get irritated pretty easily. I guess you could say that I was frumpy and grumpy. And I didn't like being that way. But really, when you aren't making healthy choices, you're not going to feel that great, you're going to make other not-great choices, and then you feel pretty lousy about that, and the consequences of those choices. Which makes it more likely that you're going to make another bad choice. And it pretty much is just a downward spiral.

I know that there are a lot of factors that have changed, all of which probably contribute to my decreased irritation. One, I'm exercising, which creates endorphins, so I feel better. Two, I'm seeing some good physical changes in my body, which makes me feel better about myself and how I look, so my base level of irritation is lower. Three, I'm drinking a very healthy meal replacement shake that has helped me in a lot of ways. I'm sleeping better, I crave and eat less sweets, my digestion has improved, and my energy levels are improved. And, I see that I don't get irritated as easily as I used to. (I asked Jason if he sees that, too, and to my delight--and relief--he said he does.) And just like the downward spiral, I'm sure the opposite effect is going on. I feel better, I make better choices, and the consequences of those choices continues to make me feel good, thus increasing the probability that I will continue to make good choices.

No matter the exact reason, it's another reason that I want to continue on this journey. I'm realizing that being "fit" is more than just a physical thing. I didn't realize it when I started, but MY OWN journey to be "Fit After Forty", is more than just my becoming physically fit. It's about being emotionally and spiritually healthy, too.

 Now for this week's update: I lost 2 more pounds! I know that the scale is not the BEST indicator of success, because of normal fluctuations from water retention and things like that. But, weighing once a week helps to even that kind of thing out. Initially, I had chosen Mondays to be my official weigh-in days, but I decided since we often ease up some on the weekends, Friday or Saturday mornings would be a better official weigh-in day. But anyway, I am now officially more than halfway to my goal weight. 

Can't wait to see where I go next!


No comments:

Post a Comment